Judge blocks Trump’s plans to scrap DACA programme

15 Jan 18

US judge has blocked president Donald Trump’s plans to scrap a programme giving temporary immigration status to thousands, which could cost the country billions. 

A study in September found that if Trump’s decision went ahead and the approximately 800,000 young people would lose their work permits and jobs, the gross domestic product would be reduced by $433.4bn over 10 years.

A San Francisco judge barred the administration’s plans to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) on Tuesday last week. 

The judge said the programme should remain in effect until legal challenges brought in multiple courts have been resolved.

Trump has in response said the federal court system was “broken and unfair”.

The programme, set up by Barack Obama five years ago, gives temporary legal immigration status to people who arrived illegally in the US as children.

The Trump administration said in September he would give Congress six months to legalise the programme before he would “revisit [the] issue”.

The study by the think-tank Center for American Progress found the hardest hit areas, if the programme was scrapped, would be California and Florida which host the largest share of DACA participants.

California, with an estimated 187,972 DACA workers, would see a GDP loss of $11.3bn annually, while Texas would lose $6.1bn and North Carolina $1.9bn. 

Did you enjoy this article?

Related articles

Have your say

Newsletter

CIPFA latest

Popular

Most commented

Events & webinars